Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cutting back


One of my goals for 2010 was to live more simply. (Hmm, could I make that any broader?) There are about a thousand ways to interpret this, and implement it, so where to start? I really began to put this into action when Brian went to get our yard composter in April. Stewardship is not only important to me as an individual, but it is also important to me as a community member, and as a mother. Stewardship is included in the Quaker testimonies and I have done what I could while mothering my babies. Now that they are a little older and can understand and help more, I feel even stronger about striving to generate less waste.

Our first step was to get the composter. This of course included an inside compost container which we would empty into the larger one outside. Then I felt compelled to improve our recycling system, which basically had been an assortment of paper bags, a random extra trash can and the bin provided by the trash company. Well, I spent a little money, but now have more organized sorting bins in the garage that can easily be taken to the recycling station.

A couple of years back, I stopped using plastic grocery bags. Or should I say I tried to stop using them. It was a haphazard effort. Again, small babies were my priority then. But, in this last year, I always take my own bags. And, if I forget for some reason, I always get paper, since I can recycle that. I have gotten to the point where I will delay a trip somewhere a day or so if I have forgotten my bags. I have affectionately appropriated the title Bag Lady.

I am proud to say that just recently, Brian told me that he thinks we might be able to request a smaller trash bin due to the reduction of trash we put out now. So, we have not only cut back the amount of trash we are sending to the landfill, we also have potentially cut back on one of our bills. Now that's what I call progress. And it feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment