Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

My Agreements


As I said in my first post, in her book, Gretchen Rubin concocts Resolutions, Commandments and also includes a list she calls Secrets of Adulthood. Today I thought it was time that I wrote mine down, so here goes. I have started with the Commandments, as that was easier for me than the Resolutions, and have kept a couple of hers that really resonated with me. I have italicized those. And, I have renamed them, as Commandments brings to mind Charlton Heston for me, and he just isn't the image I strive to have in my head that often. Instead, I am calling them Agreements, taken from The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz, which is one of my most treasured spiritual books.

Twelve, er...Fifteen Agreements
1. Be Heather
2. It is what it is.
3. Be fair.
4. Moderation is key.
5. No assumptions.
6. There is only love.
7. Do what feels right.
8. Do my best.
9. Let it go.
10. Peace begins with me.
11. Pay it forward.
12. Work through it.
13. Lighten up.
14. Good is good enough.
15. Let My Life Speak

Some of these are simply the way I try to live my life now. And some really need to be applied more often and with a bit more conviction. The fact that I couldn't even hold myself to twelve is probably a good indication that I need to "Lighten Up", most specifically in regards to myself. The expectations that I have for myself far outweigh those that anyone else has of me, which brings me to my few Secrets of Adulthood, which I have also renamed. For some reason, Secrets of Adulthood sounds like it should be an entry in my journal from my tween years.

My Truths
-The only way out is through.
-By doing a little bit each day, you can accomplish a lot.
-If you can't find something, clean up.
-Lower your expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised.
-My shoes don't fit anyone else, but some have the same style.
-People don't notice your mistakes as much as you think.
-Even at the depths of despair, there is still ample strength in reserve.
-Hope is like water.
-Give to give, not to receive.
-Show love before you can't.
-Be grateful for what you have.

These are the few that I can think of right now, but I may add more at a later date. Perhaps as I learn more, or as I am reminded of some.

Lately, I have been feeling immensely grateful for all that I have. I have many things in my life that I have dreamt of over the years and hope to fulfill more dreams and help others fulfill theirs. But I am so very grateful that I have a husband who I love and who loves me, two children that are precious to me, a home to keep us warm and to make memories in, and I also get to do work that is very rewarding. And now, I am so relieved to be writing. It is like finally getting to stratch an itch that has been out of reach. Ahhh...that's the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment